Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat returns Feb. 24-March 1 at Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. The new production features Broadway/TV star Diana DeGarmo (Hairspray, Hair, tour of 9 to 5) as The Narrator and Broadway star Ace Young (Grease, Hair) as Joseph.
One of the most enduring shows of all time, Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s blockbuster is the irresistible family musical about the trials and triumphs of Joseph, Israel’s favorite son. Some folks might need a little help or a refresher on “interpreting” the story, so our pals at The John F. Kennedy Center created a handy infographic when the tour stopped there recently!
Click on the graphic to make it bigger!
CLICK HERE for tickets and more information for the Charlotte performances Feb. 24-March 1!
The 2014-2015 PNC Broadway Lights has a lot to offer! Blumenthal Performing Arts is excited to continue bringing you the best of Broadway this spring. See if you can identify some of the upcoming shows by the photos below.
Test your knowledge and name that show:
You guessed it! Dirty Dancing and Mamma Mia! Both of these fabulous shows are headed to Charlotte for one week only this summer! CLICK HERE to read more about Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story on Stage, coming to Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. CLICK HERE to nab tickets to Mamma Mia, which will play Knight Theater at Levine Center for the Arts!
Part of Blumenthal’s 2014-15 PNC Broadway Lights, Pippin – playing Belk Theater in May — tells the story of a young prince on a death-defying journey to find the meaning of his existence. It includes a beloved score from Stephen Schwartz (Wicked), direction from Diane Paulus (The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess), choreography in the style of Bob Fosse and death-defying stunts from the same team that brought TRACES to the Queen City for two exciting engagements in 2008 and 2013. One special treat for fans of NBC’s “The Voice” will be Sasha Allen, who takes on the role of Leading Player for the national tour.
Allen is no stranger to the stage or to show business. She was a background vocalist for Christina Aguilera, appeared as Dionne in the 2009 Broadway revival of Hair and had a featured role in the 2003 cult film “Camp.” Perhaps her biggest claim to fame is placing in the top five on season four of NBC’s “The Voice.”
As a fan of the show, I pulled for Sasha to win from the first time I heard her sing. I was also partial to her sound because I remembered her from “Camp.” In case you’re not familiar with Allen, I have chosen my three favorite performances from her days on “The Voice.” Listen to them below.
1. “Alone” – Sasha performs a stripped-down, but soaring version of the classic ’80s Heart ballad.
2. “Ain’t No Way” – Sasha takes on The Queen of Soul with her powerful rendition of this Aretha Franklin classic.
3. “Oh! Darling” – Probably my favorite performance from her, Sasha puts her sultry spin on the popular Beatles tune.
Don’t miss the powerhouse vocals of Allen when she takes the role of Leading Player in Pippin at Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center May 19-24. Get tickets through our Very Merry Holiday Special and get free parking with your order, now through Jan. 1.
Have you ever been to a spoken word event? Are you looking for something fun and interesting to do this week? Whether it’s our monthly event in Booth Playhouse, or the youth event in Knight Gallery at Spirit Square, Blumenthal has got you covered. Performance poetry is one thing, but a poetry slam is even better! Trust us, it’s worth coming out to experience.
BreatheINK’s goal is to give all local teen poets the opportunity to express themselves through performance poetry. BreatheINK is a performance poetry-based organization that seeks to expose all Mecklenburg County area youths to the knowledge and power of spoken word. Through workshops, poetry slams, school clubs and organizations, and other activities, the group allows youths in our community to enhance personal and social growth through self-expression, build stronger creative writing and comprehension techniques, increase self-confidence through personal presentations, and develop teamwork skills through group poetry.
It is an organization created to help students of all ages find their young artists hidden within. It is BreatheINK’s belief that creativity in any form, especially performance poetry, expressed from the minds and hearts of the younger community members, should be displayed in any way possible for the benefit of all. It is the group’s goal to create positive opportunities for young poets to increase their writing skills, learn the art of poetic performance, practice group poetry, craft poetry slam strategies and discover all the ways to use their art for positive and professional purposes.
CLICK HERE for tickets.
SlamCharlotte PoetrySlam: Booth Playhouse at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
Blumenthal Performing Arts’ monthly Poetry Slams are hosted by SlamCharlotte, Charlotte’s own two-time national championship team of spoken word poetry (2007 and 2008). SlamCharlotte strives to promote poetic growth, performance enhancement and increased camaraderie among the poets and the community through the monthly slam competitions. SlamCharlotte’s current Slammaster, Bluz, is the 13th ranked individual poet in the world.
CLICK HERE for tickets.
Don’t forget to check out BlumenthalArts.org for a complete list of upcoming shows!
Friday Giveaway! Enter to Win a Souvenir Program From the Spectacular New Production of The Phantom of the Opera
We know for many of you, Feb. 4 can’t get here fast enough. Following an acclaimed sold-out tour of the United Kingdom, Cameron Mackintosh’s spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s phenomenal musical success, The Phantom of the Opera, comes to Belk Theater for two weeks only. Critics are raving that this breathtaking production is “bigger and better than ever before.” Hopefully you already have your tickets, but CLICK HERE fast if you don’t.
This Phantom features a brilliant new scenic design by Paul Brown, Tony Award-winning original costume design by Maria Björnson, lighting design by Tony Award winner Paule Constable, new choreography by Scott Ambler, and a new staging by director Laurence Connor. The production, overseen by Matthew Bourne and Cameron Mackintosh, boasts many exciting special effects including the show’s legendary chandelier.
The beloved story and thrilling score – with songs like “Music of the Night,” “All I Ask of You” and “Masquerade” – will be performed by a cast and orchestra of 52, making this Phantom one of the largest productions now on tour.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us why you would love to win this souvenir program! Use the subject line: The Phantom Giveaway! PLEASE NOTE: The program must be picked up from Spirit Square in uptown Charlotte (345 N. College St.) and will not be mailed. A winner will be selected at noon Tuesday, Dec. 16, and notified via email.
We’re always especially excited to point out unique shows headed to our theaters, and this is certainly one of them. For dance lovers, it’s a given, but Martha Graham Dance Company can wow any audience and push the boundaries in terms of movement. On Jan. 20, the show comes to Knight Theater at Levine Center for the Arts; the perfect setting to display this amazing work of art! CLICK HERE for ticket information. Read on to find out why this might be a show for you.
Martha Graham and her company have expanded contemporary dance’s vocabulary of movement and forever altered the scope of the art form by rooting works in contemporary social, political, psychological and sexual contexts, deepening their impact and resonance.
Always a fertile ground for experimentation, Martha Graham Dance Company has been an unparalleled resource in nurturing many of the leading choreographers and dancers of the 20th and 21st centuries, including Merce Cunningham, Erick Hawkins, Pearl Lang, Pascal Rioult and Paul Taylor. Graham’s repertoire of 181 works has also engaged noted performers such as Mikhail Baryshnikov, Claire Bloom, Margot Fonteyn, Liza Minnelli, Rudolf Nureyev, Maya Plisetskaya and Kathleen Turner. Her groundbreaking techniques and unmistakable style have earned the company acclaim from audiences in more than 50 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Check out the video below to see what’s in store!
Today, the company continues to foster Graham’s spirit of ingenuity. It is embracing a new programming vision that showcases masterpieces by Graham, her contemporaries and their successors alongside newly commissioned works by contemporary artists inspired by Graham’s legacy. With programs that unite the work of choreographers across time within a rich historical and thematic narrative, the company is actively working to create new platforms for contemporary dance and multiple points of access for audiences.
Are you looking for a unique gift idea this holiday season? Is your list of friends and family full of entertainment lovers? Have you been meaning to treat yourself to something special? Blumenthal Performing Arts could be your one-stop shop to check several gifts off your list!
As a bonus, many of our shows are included in our Very Merry Holiday Special, which allows you to secure FREE parking for each show purchased now through Jan. 1.
With so many exciting shows on our calendar, there’s something for everyone. Plus, Blumenthal gift certificates are available if you’re unsure of which show to buy. Let’s take a closer look at Blumenthal’s 2014 Holiday Gift Guide.
- The Illusionists: Witness the Impossible: Featuring seven of the world’s most mind-bending illusionists, this high-octane show just opened on Broadway to packed houses and is perfect for any magic lover on your list!
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: Is someone on your list an avid “American Idol” fan? This show is the perfect gift for them. Featuring “American Idol” alum and husband-and-wife duo DianaDeGarmo and Ace Young, thisfamily-friendly classic is sure to bring joy to anyone!
- Annie: The story of orphan Annie seems to be the most popular gift on our list this year. It’s perfect for any age! There’s also lots of buzz surrounding Annie due to the feature film starring Cameron Diaz and Jamie Foxx set to be released later this month.
- Motown The Musical: If someone on your list loves the sounds of The Temptations, The Supremes or Jackson 5, we have the perfect gift! This hit musical tells the story of the rise of Motown Records and features classic Motown tunes like “My Girl,” “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”
- Dirty Dancing: Fellas, if you want to treat her to romance this Christmas, get her tickets to watch the ultimate chick flick come to life on stage! And remember, nobody puts Baby in a corner.
- Jay Leno: The legendary late-night TV host and comedian performs in Belk Theater this May for one night only. Perfect for anyone who likes to laugh!
- The Peking Acrobats: Chinese drumming, contortionists, gymnastics, juggling and high-tech special effects combine to create the perfect gift for any kid on your holiday list!
- Audra McDonald: Audra McDonald broke records when she won for the sixth time at this year’s Tony Awards. She’s performing in Knight Theater in February, and tickets to this show would make a great gift for Broadway enthusiasts!
- Dancing Pros: Live!: If you know someone who’s obsessed with dance and watches “Dancing with the Stars” or “So You Think You Can Dance” religiously, don’t let them miss this unique show featuring dancers from both TV reality competitions, host AlanThicke and a live audience vote.
- The Time Jumpers: Perfect for any country music fan, The Time Jumpers includes Vince Gill, Kenny Sears, Dawn Sears and Ranger Doug Green!
- An Evening With Garrison Keillor: The iconic host of “Prairie Home Companion” returns to Belk Theater this March. This is the perfect gift for any NPR listener on your list!
- CHITA: A Legendary Celebration: Celebrate the career of Broadway legend and the original Anita in “West Side Story,” Chita Rivera, with her intimate performance in McGlohon Theater!
- Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra: Looking to try something fresh and fun? Renowned for their winning combination of charming humor, the disarmingly small ukulele, and sublime musicality, the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra is the right ticket.
- Dixie’s Tupperware Party: The fast-talking, in-your-face, hair-up-to-heaven Tupperware saleswoman from Alabama returns to Booth Playhouse to host a Tupperware party to trump all Tupperware parties. The Charlotte Observer called it “highly entertaining and hilarious” and “The Today Show” said “it’s not your grandmother’s Tupperware party!”
- Blumenthal Gift Certificate: A Blumenthal gift certificate makes the perfect gift! You can customize your certificate for any amount and include a personal message. And you also have the option to print-at-home, so you can literally have your gift in hand as soon as you complete your order. Click here to purchase.
Don’t forget, get FREE parking with any of the shows listed above through our Very Merry Holiday Special, now through Jan. 1 only. Other participating shows include Mamma Mia; Pippin; Potted Potter; Love, Loss, and What I Wore; Cassandra Wilson; Manhattan Transfer; Glen Hansard; Hannibal Buress; Martha Graham Dance Company; and more! Click here for details and tickets.