5 Facts to Know About Under the Streetlamp!
Under the Streetlamp sounds like it could be the next big Broadway “jukebox” musical. It is not.
However, the Broadway connections are plentiful. The four singers do indeed have musical acting chops. They met as leads in productions of the blockbuster Jersey Boys.
Under the Streetlamp’s Michael Cunio, Michael Ingersoll, Christopher Kale Jones and Shonn Wiley promise an electrifying evening of classic hits from the American radio songbook on Sept. 23 at Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. Tickets start at $20. The quartet delivers a distinct blend of tight harmonies and slick dance moves to beloved doo-wop, Motown, and old time rock ’n’ roll hits.
The special guest is Gentleman’s Rule, a 10-man a cappella group. Click here to get your tickets now for this incredible night.
Here are five fast facts that you need to know about Under the Streetlamp before going to the show!
1. If you watch PBS, you may be a huge fan of the group’s specials. If not, you will want to catch this one the next time it’s on.
2. While the Jersey Boys connection is obvious, expect way more than every Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons song ever written. “We’re very careful to let people know that, yes, we all met during Jersey Boys, but please don’t confuse what we’re doing now with that part of our lives,” said Ingersoll. “This is not an extension of that. It’s a departure. We haven’t borrowed anything that doesn’t belong to us.”
3. Fans are called “Lampers.” The group crowd-sourced the name from fans. And you will see Lampers of all ages. Here are four generations after a show.
4. Under the Streetlamp isn’t afraid to tackle tunes that traditionally feature a female lead. Here’s a quick taste of Cunio’s take on “At Last.”
5. The group met Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio in late June during a surprise meeting before Valli performed at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. They learned some things about Valli and Gaudio that they didn’t know. Read about the big night here.
Don’t miss a night of songs you know and love featuring the incredible vocalists in Under the Streetlamp on Sept. 23 at Belk Theater. Click here to get your seats TODAY!
PS: Here’s a bonus video of Gentleman’s Rule doing “I Wish/Play That Funky Music.” Get your tickets now, people.