Tuesday Tune: ‘(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life’ from Dirty Dancing
This summer, rom-com lovers will rejoice as one of the most iconic love stories told on film comes to Belk Theater. Dirty Dancing tells the story of Baby and Johnny with heart-pounding music, sensational dancing and passionate romance. Featuring hit songs like “Hungry Eyes” and “Do You Love Me?” the record-breaking musical has been seen by millions around the globe. London’s Sunday Express said, “This crowd-pleasing stage adaptation hits the jackpot!”
Arguably one of the most memorable moments in movie history is Baby and Johnny’s dance finale. The song was “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes. Keep reading for a few facts about the hit song at the center of the movie’s finale.
- The lyrics were written by Franke Previte of Franke and The Knockouts.
- The film’s final scene was actually filmed before anything else, and according to Patrick Swayze, Previte’s demo of the song was used while recording.
- Bill Medley, half of The Righteous Brothers, was hesitant to sing the song until he learned Jennifer Warnes was the female vocalist.
- The song won several awards including an Academy Award for best original song in 1987, a Grammy Award for best pop performance by a duo or group in 1988 and the Golden Globe for best original song, also in 1988.
- The song helped the “Dirty Dancing” soundtrack stay in Billboard’s number one spot for 18 weeks.
- A Lionel Richie was originally slated for the film’s final number, but choreographer Kenny Ortega bumped it after hearing “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life.”
- The song is sampled in Black Eyed Peas’ 2010 hit song “The Time (Dirty Bit).”
Now take a trip down memory lane and relive the film’s final moment, starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey, featuring “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life.”