Five Fun Facts About Jay Leno
You ended your days laughing at his jokes and watching his hysterical interviews for years, now Jay Leno is coming to Belk Theater this May. Leno caught the national spotlight when he was awarded the coveted hosting position on NBC’s “The Tonight Show,” replacing the legendary late-night host Johnny Carson.
Get to know Leno a little better with these five fun facts:
- He was born James Douglas Muir Leno on April 28, 1950, in New Rochelle, NY. He is of Scottish and Italian descent.
- He was awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor from the Kennedy Center this year, one of the highest accolades for any comedian. No stranger to awards, Leno has won three Emmys and a People’s Choice Award, and he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- His fifth-grade teacher wrote on a report card, “If Jay spent as much time studying as he does trying to be a comedian, he’d be a big star.”
- The title of his 1996 autobiography is “Leading With My Chin.” Leno has a prominent jaw, also described as mandibular prognathism. He knows surgery could fix it but doesn’t want to suffer through the long healing time with his jaw wired shut.
- Leno owns approximately 286 vehicles (169 automobiles and 117 motorcycles), making him quite the collector. They’re housed in three separate warehouses, each the size of a football field. His collection includes a sedan and a roadster that were owned by Howard Hughes and one of nine remaining 1963 Chrysler Turbine Cars.
Don’t miss Jay Leno live in Charlotte’s Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center on Thursday, May 28, at 7:30 p.m. A capella group The Funx will kick off the evening. Get tickets now! Prices start at just $20, and great seats are still available.
Click here to enter for a chance to win two tickets to see Jay Leno and a $50 gift card to Chima Charlotte! Enter by 10 a.m. Monday, May 4th.