‘The Sun’ll Come Out …’ on July 14-19 with Annie
Depending on your age, you might remember little Annie as a cartoon, a comic strip or as a Broadway legend. The popular redhead is adored by millions of fans, thanks to three Broadway productions and three major motion picture adaptations.
We are excited to announce that … leapin’ lizards … one of the world’s best-loved musicals is back! The heart-melting Annie will be onstage July 14-19 at Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center!
Fun Facts About Annie!
- Annie is based on a popular comic strip “Little Orphan Annie.”
- The comic strip premiered in the 1920s in the New York Daily News and became one of the most widely read strips in the ’30s and ’40s.
- The 1977 original Broadway production won seven Tony Awards®, including Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score Choreography.
- In 2007, Annie played Madison Square Garden in New York for five weeks and grossed $8 million.
- As of now, it is the 13th longest running American musical in Broadway history.
- Annie has been translated into 28 languages the world over and has played in 34 different countries.
The timeless story. The classic characters. The unforgettable songs. Featuring the beloved book and score by Tony Award-winners Thomas Meehan, Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin, Annie includes such unforgettable songs as “It’s the Hard Knock Life,” “Easy Street,” “I Don’t Need Anything But You,” plus the eternal anthem of optimism, “Tomorrow.”