Breakin’ Convention Invades Charlotte Oct. 9-10!
Get ready, Charlotte! Breakin’ Convention, the renowned international festival of hip-hop dance theater, takes over Knight Theater at Levine Center for the Arts Oct. 9-10. Direct from London’s Sadler’s Wells Theatre, the festival will feature performances by dancers from around the globe and from the neighborhoods of Charlotte. Breakin’ Convention showcases the finest local dance crews alongside the world’s best international hip-hop dance companies!
Facts about hip-hop and Breakin’ Convention:
- The artistic pillars of hip-hop are DJing, breakin’ and popping, graffiti writing and emceeing.
- The original principles of hip-hop have been obscured by bling bling monotony and the designer “gangsta rapper.”
- The goal of Breakin’ Convention is to uncover the creative underground world of hip-hop.
- This October will be the second time this incredible event has traveled to the United States, but will mark the first time it has appeared in the Southeast.
- Breakin’ Convention is regarded as one of the defining new stories of dance in the U.K. in the past decade and is the only event of its kind worldwide.
This two-day celebration of hip-hop culture will feature Friday and Saturday night shows at Knight Theater. During the day, enjoy free activities and performances, including live disc jockeys, graffiti, hip-hop dance workshops where you can test your skills, free performances, after parties and much more.
In the video below, check out a recap of the 2015 Breakin’ Convention that took place in England for a taste of what to expect when it rolls into the Queen City!
Head over to the Breakin’ Convention website for more info and to see how you can be involved.